Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Moving Sim-plified

Okay, so, is it bad if, in my free time, I'm considering loading up The Sims 3, constructing a rough model of the house we might be renting, and experimenting with furniture arrangements?
If you see me running around
with one of these overhead,
do not be alarmed.

Weird? A bit. Hear me out, though.

Moving into this house is going to be a bit unusual due to the odd amalgamation of possessions each of us is bringing to the table. Vian and Tracy have about half a household's worth of stuff; I have tons of decorations but, due to a pre-furnished apartment, no bed, desk, TV cabinet, or other minor (but vital!) furniture staples; Randy, who was in the Air Force this time last year, has a closet's worth of clothes, a bed and desk, and enough electronics to short-circuit a fuse box.

So on moving day, whenever that may ultimately be, it's going to be kind of like assembling a jigsaw puzzle without knowing for sure if we've got all the pieces or not. We may have enough furniture to fill every nook and cranny of the house; we may have some significantly missing elements - I'm already suspecting gaping holes where end tables should be. And re-arranging a house is a lot more challenging when it involves physically shuffling it all around, not a quick point-and-click. (Note: it has become clear that The Sims have given me hugely unrealistic expectations about this whole process.)

Consider it a microcosm sort of thing, a means to start figuring out what all else needs to be done/acquired before the day. Especially since I'm kind of stuck in house-hunting limbo right now, something like this might help me feel a bit more proactive about the process.

Or maybe I'm just letting the whole all-my-free-time-back thing go to my head. Either way. A little digital interior design might prove a supremely useful tool.

-Meg, the Token Girl

5 comments:

  1. I have done this with the Sims, but only for houses I've already lived in/had furniture arranged in. As far as new places, I find it much more helpful (realistically) to use graph paper to figure out the dimensions of the room, then measure all the furniture and cut out little graph paper furniture pieces, that way you know everything is to scale when you start playing around with it. :) I know it's a little nuts, but for me it helps to visualize!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's actually really helpful, Allie! I may have to do that, once I get another look at the house ... turns out I can only do so much from memory, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Does it really take that many electronics to short-circuit a fuse box? I'm no expert, but I imagine it could be done with a very minimal amount and some precision...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Randy assures me it's harder than it sounds; if he ran them all at once, he could probably blow a fuse, perhaps more depending on circumstance.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I see where you're going. I imagined he was using his supply of electronics to tamper with the fuse box and thereby short-circuit it. Which I envision not taking terribly many. I'm with you now =)

    ReplyDelete